As a mecca for outdoor fun, bring your gear and plenty of sunscreen for the Perfect Spring Day in Western Colorado. What makes spring SO different in Grand Junction?
1. Start your day on the Grand Mesa, the world’s largest flat top mountain by snowmobiling on the vast public lands or cross-country skiing on the complimentary groomed public trails provided by the Grand Mesa Nordic Council. Be safe in spring snow conditions, have the right gear and check the Colorado Avalanche Information Center for backcountry forecasts.
2. Though the lifts are done turning for the season, make plans to click into your skis or snowboard at Powderhorn Mountain Resort for 1,600 of skiable acres for all ages and abilities next winter and spring. Just 45-minutes from Grand Junction, this mountain is affordable fun with amazing powder and glade skiing. Check out the newest program in 2017 – the Ski Patrol Ski Along. Start making plans for next season beginning in December 2017. Uphill access by means of skinning, snowshoeing and hiking is allowed though at your own risk. Here is Powderhorn's uphill policy.
3. From the top of the Grand Mesa to the riverside plateaus, road cyclists seek Grand Junction and surrounding areas because of challenging terrain and constant changing landscapes that will take you from the height of the Rocky Mountains to Colorado’s Wine Country region.
4. Time to rev your engines! Motocross or ATV riding on dry, adrenaline pumping dirt trails north of Grand Junction in the North Desert public lands managed by the Bureau of Land Management are ready for your machines.
5. No spring day in Western Colorado is complete without mountain biking! Man do we have the perfect trails for a day of single track bliss. Hard rock to hero dirt…. if you want two-wheeled adventure you need to look no further than areas surrounding Grand Junction and Fruita. Don’t miss the Lunch Loops/Tabeguache trailhead or the 18 Road trailhead.
6. Now it’s river time through serene red rock canyons near the Colorado National Monument and McInnis National Conservation Area. Don’t own a jet boat? No worries, we have plenty of rafting companies that can help you float your worries away down the Colorado River beginning in late spring through early fall.
Grand Junction is the best place for spring adventure. Period. And when you’re done playing, Grand Junction’s downtown welcomes you with open arms for tantalizing meals, inviting shops and a comfortable bed. Plan your trip now to the outdoor adventure hub that is Grand Junction, Colorado!