Come Hang Out With Us
Would you like to hang out with friendly volunteers and assist guests in finding their way around Grand Junction? The Grand Junction Visitor Center is looking for fun-loving individuals, like you, to join our team of amazing Volunteer Ambassadors. You’ll have a partner alongside you, plenty of snacks, a computer, T.V., complimentary FAMS around town (details below), super close parking, and wifi! See below for more helpful information.
As a Grand Junction volunteer ambassador, you will:
- Meet people from all over the world! Visitors stop by the Grand Junction Visitor Center to learn more about the area, and they love sharing their travel stories with you.
- Share your expertise and why you love the Grand Junction area. Most of the guests who stop by the visitor center are looking for fun and unique experiences to enjoy while they are visiting. They love hearing about your favorite scenic drives, hiking trails, unique activities, and tasty places to eat.
As a Grand Junction volunteer ambassador, you can expect:
- A fun and friendly environment. We are all like family and it’s a great opportunity to make new friends with other residents in the area.
- The Visit Grand Junction staff works onsite as well and is always available to help out or chat with you.
- Flexible scheduling - whether you’re looking to volunteer regularly or fit it into your lifestyle, you make your own schedule so there’s no over-committing! Plus, the shifts are only 2.5 – 3 hours long. If you need to cancel your shift, that is fine too.
- You get to go on FAMs, also known as familiarization trips – The Visit Grand Junction staff organizes trips around town so you can get to know new tourism businesses and activities in the area. The Ambassadors visit the businesses together and learn as a team. A typical FAM visits a new store downtown or a new activity business and it ends with a bite to eat at a new dining establishment – all at no cost.
- We host an annual luncheon in December celebrating all of the Ambassadors. City Manager Greg Caton provides a State of the City Update and answers Ambassador questions, which always includes “when is Costco coming.”
- You receive a birthday card each year, personally signed by staff with a nice message from each person.
- The Visitor Center is closed Saturday and Sunday, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years Day.
- Visit Grand Junction staff provides you with all the training and assistance you need. We make it easy for you!
- Yummy snacks! We provide a wide variety of snacks and beverages just for you.
- What do you do if it’s slow and there are no visitors? Many volunteer ambassadors read, knit, surf the internet, stuff envelopes, chat with their shift partner – whatever you want to do!
- Two computers with access to the internet. There is also a T.V.
- Free Wifi
- Local newspaper is delivered to the Visitor Center
- A desk with chairs - limited standing.
- Great parking - just a few steps from your parked car to the front door of the Visitor Center. During the winter, walkways are shoveled and salted prior to your arrival.
No experience is required. Just be yourself, bring a positive attitude, and a desire to help others! You don’t need to be a long-time resident or an area expert to start volunteering at the Grand Junction Visitor Center. We’ll provide training and pair you with a seasoned ambassador to help you out!
We are located at the Grand Junction Visitor Center (740 Horizon Drive), just behind Taco Bell.
If you’re interested in becoming a Grand Junction Volunteer Ambassador, please fill out the application below. If you’d like more details about this volunteer opportunity, feel free to reach out to Matthew via email (MatthewH@GJcity.org), phone (970-256-4054), or stop by the Visitor Center Monday-Friday, 8:30 am - 5:00 pm.